Transient Thoughts 003 - Jabbu - The Quiet Respite

 

Transient Thoughts is a series of shorter reviews that capture my thoughts on a given album at a given time.  Most of these reviews have not had nearly as in depth of a look at my full reviews.  These thoughts are often formulated while walking through my neighborhood, and reflect how the album impacted me in those moments.  I hope you enjoy them.

I’m walking down a sidewalk with anxiety welling up inside of me.  It’s my last day of vacation and I’m starting to feel the pressure of work beginning to weasel into my consciousness.  While I'm walking I start playing Jabbu's the Quiet Respite.

There is something remarkable about this album.  It senses the anxiety within me and works its way to displace it with peace.  This album is not merely music, it is a tool for reflective meditation to combat the stress of life.

Jabbu combines principles of lofi hip hop and ambient to create an album that is somewhere in between.  Some tracks have simple melodies over subtle beats that are amplified by reverb and deep echoed effects.  Many of the tracks don’t truly have a direction to them, they simply are content in their existence.  And that is what makes them truly special for meditation, they simply are - nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

The pacing is also excellent, the ambient tracks are enveloped by tracks that contain percussion. This gives the album a cadence resembling a gentle ebb and flow. Rarely does the album demand your attention, but if attention is paid it rewards you.
 
The album is going to be one that I come back to over the course of this year and hopefully more so in the future.  I’ve spun the record in addition to the digital on numerous occasions at this point. While the album doesn't offer a challenging listen, it does offer a momentary respite from the whirlwind of life. A moment in time where you can simply sit back and enjoy the simplicity of life.  It has become one of my tools to combat anxiety.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

019.5 - The Deep Dive - Wushimi Complex - The Anon Database Notes and Interviews

021.5 - The Deep Dive - Macroblank - 絶望に負けた Notes and Interview

021 - Macroblank - 絶望に負けた