Transient Thoughts 006 - ll nøthing ll - Sacrifice

Transient Thoughts is a series of shorter reviews that capture my thoughts on a given album at a given time.  Most of these reviews have not had nearly as in depth of a look at my full reviews.  These thoughts are often formulated while walking through my neighborhood, and reflect how the album impacted me in those moments.  I hope you enjoy them.

 

Where am I? Is this hell? Is this heaven? What is this place? What are these strange sounds that threaten to tear me limb from limb? What is even real anymore?

All these questions and more are likely to pass through a listener's mind while listening to Sacrifice.  When I first heard it, I wasn’t sure if the album was a total waste of my time or the work of a mad genius.  I listened to it baffled, not knowing what I had just experienced.  The only thing I knew was that I had to listen again… and again.

The music truly sounds otherworldly, like nothing I have ever heard before… or since.  The sound present on Sacrifice takes highly syncopated beats, seemingly random melodies and soundscapes and weaves them all together.  The result is jarring at first, and is as inaccessible as nearly anything I have ever heard in my lifetime.. And I’ve heard a lot.

After the initial shock -should you consider venturing back into ll nothing ll’s album - things make a tiny bit more sense.  Mayhap you’ll catch a buried melody that was washed out by the distortion or beats the first time through.  Maybe the album will unfold just a little bit more on repeated listens.  Perhaps there is some method to this madness after all.

In my own experience I had to listen to this album nearly a dozen times before I was able to dissect the album in any discernible manner.  I found the album deep, complex, and ultimately rewarding.  Though that conclusion was not arrived at lightly, there is still this shadow of doubt in my mind that I have been duped by an elaborate ruse.  

I cannot emphasize this enough, this album will not be for everyone.  It is a chaotic mess of samples, beats, and melodies that sound like they have been stitched together haphazardly. But that is the beauty of this album, they haven’t.  All of this is intentional.

Returning back to my initial thoughts, I still don’t know fully what this is.  It could very much just be a crazy mess of an album that was never meant to be understood.  Or maybe, just maybe this album does border on genius once you break through.  After countless listens my inclination is towards the latter. 

Nothing is real, sacrifice thyself.

------

For anyone interested, the album is currently undergoing a Qrates record campaign: 

https://qrates.com/projects/24538-sacrifice



 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

019.5 - The Deep Dive - Wushimi Complex - The Anon Database Notes and Interviews

021.5 - The Deep Dive - Macroblank - 絶望に負けた Notes and Interview

021 - Macroblank - 絶望に負けた